Saturday, April 27, 2013

Henry's sister, and possibly his father!

Daddy,

What amazing information and pictures from Norway yesterday!

A wonderful young man, Torbjørn, who now owns the property, has described life on Adsen for us:


"The people who lived there lived well. There was a lot of food. There were about 150 people lived there in years 1830-1890.
It was a very good fishing for salmon out there. Great crab and lobster. Was enormous amount of birds out there, a lot of eggs. Rich fishing for cod, redfish and haddock. Farm with sheep, cows, chickens, pigs and horses. There were six houses. Was a lot of fishermen who stayed and slept in barns.
I also caught a lot of salmon there. My grandfather and father caught plenty of salmon. My grandfather was a lighthouse keeper on the asen."







a map of the island, including notes on where your great grandmother lived (and great grandfather was 'lost at sea')

Our friend is not sure which of the men this is: either  1.Jens lyster sivertsen.
2.Jens Peter Andersen.
3.Klaus peter.
In other words, it could be Maren's father, husband, or son

Meet Lovise Marie, Henry's youngest sister and the last of the 10 siblings to live there.
She was, by reports, in touch with the US Lysters.





6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Geneabloggers!! I've been a member for about seven months. This is a great blogging community.

    Regards, Grant

    http://thestephensherwoodletters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, what stunning pictures! How fortunate you are to have this connection in the homeland. Oh, how I envy you!

    I just found your blog today, thanks to a mention in GeneaBloggers this morning. I look forward to reading more as you go through this exploratory process--and also as you develop your idea for that book. Best wishes from a fellow GeneaBlogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Grant and Jacqi! Each day is such a learning curve, but great fun and really fascinating stuff. I look forward to catching up with your blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, welcome to Geneabloggers! I also started out looking into my father's genealogy collection and kept going from there. The pictures from Norway are beautiful!

    Kathryn
    http://kathrynsquest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn, I never dreamed my dad's silly project would interest me, but there you are - isn't it interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a pipe! Cool.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete